RAGATZ ASSOCIATES is an international consulting and market research firm in the resort real estate industry. It was founded in 1974 by Dr. Richard Ragatz.
The objectives of Ragatz Associates are simple, but important. We provide every client, regardless of contract size, a professional and cost-effective product. We pride ourselves on being objective, thorough and creative. Our attention to detail and our extensive experience allow us to share meaningful and valuable insights with our clients. Our success is measured by the success our clients realize as a result of our consulting efforts.
Clients represent both the private sector (from small, individually owned companies to international corporations) and the public sector (from small municipalities to national governments). The firm specializes in the shared-ownership industry, including fractional interests, private residence clubs, and resort timeshare. We also work with hotels and various forms of whole-ownership resort real estate developments.
- Consumer Research
- Project Evaluation
- Feasibility Analysis
- Market Research
The firm has worked on over 2,500 assignments in the resort real estate industry in 48 states and over 70 countries. In addition, we have been involved in numerous landmark studies. Samples include:
- National and regional studies of the vacation ownership industries in the United States (1995, 1997, 2000 and 2003), Europe (2002), Mexico (1993, 1999 and 2003), Canada (1993 and 2002), Hawaii (1992 and 2000), the Canary Islands (1995), Asia (1999), the Caribbean (1994, 1999 and 2003), and Latin America (2001), including supply and demand characteristics and economic impacts.
- The first national surveys to determine the total number of U.S. recreational property owners and characteristics of their properties. Included national poll to determine interest in recreational property among non-owners (1990); updated in 1993, 1995 and 1998.
- First national survey of resort timeshare buyers in the United States (1978); updated in 1980, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2006.
- First world-wide study of the resort timeshare industry (1990); updated in 1992, 1995 and 2003.
- First national survey of fractional interest (aka private residence club) purchasers (1989; updated in 2001, 2003 and 2005), and resorts (annually 2001 through 2016).
- First national survey of the camp resort industry - four volume study for Coast to Coast Resorts (1985); updated in 1987 and 1991.
- First national survey of hotel condominium buyers (1984).
- National and regional surveys of resort timeshare owners in Europe (2002), France (1996), Germany (1996), Italy (1996), Spain (1996), Argentina (1996), Brazil (1998), the United Kingdom (1981, 1987 and 2002), Canada (1981, 1993 and 2002), Australia (1983 and 2002), the Caribbean (1983, 1999 and 2003), Mexico (1986, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2003), Singapore (1992), and Malaysia (1992).
- Three-volume study for the National Timeshare Council documenting the socio-economic impacts of resort timesharing (1980); updated in 1987 and 1998 (for the American Resort Development Association).
- Largest study ever funded by the federal government (Housing and Urban Development and President's Council on Environmental Quality) on privately owned recreational properties (1974); updated for U.S. Forest Service (1977 and 1979).